Geoff Myers, Digital Marketing Consultant & CEO of SimDex LLC, will be presenting. This week’s topic is “How to Choose the Right Theme & Customize It the Right Way (Using a Child Theme)”.
Who should attend this event?
This short 20-minute presentation and subsequent group discussion is meant for both beginners of WordPress (“choosing the right theme”) and intermediate users of WordPress (“creating a child theme”). Following the talk, there will be a general Q&A session and group discussion, after which we will break up into smaller groups as usual for individual conversations.
What will I learn from this talk?
Geoff will be covering the following subtopics:
• Where do I start when searching for a WordPress theme for my site? What are the best places to look for high-quality themes?
• What do I look for in a WordPress theme to determine whether it meets the highest technical quality standards? (hint: use Theme Check)
• Effective strategies and best practices for choosing a WordPress theme that will work for you in the short term and long run (i.e. how to save yourself frustration later on)
• Free themes versus paid themes: What’s the difference? Is it worth paying? Where should I go?
• How to create a Child Theme and add customizations without overwriting the original theme’s code (e.g. copying and editing CSS stylesheets and PHP templates from the original theme)
What is the format of this event?
• Geoff’s presentation/talk (~20 minutes)
• Subsequent Q&A and group discussion (~15 minutes)
• Group collaboration/help session (the usual, ~70 minutes)